Kachette is a stunning venue on Old Street, Shoreditch (opposite Shoreditch Town Hall) which is comprised of two large railway tunnels. On Saturday 26th and Sunday 27th September, we will be hosting a special edition of Crafty Fox Market at Kachette as part of London Design Festival. Trader applications for all 6 of our Autumn Market dates (Shoreditch | Brixton | Peckham) are open from 13 - 27 July.
We are looking for an artist or collective to put their unique stamp on Kachette for our London Design Festival event on 26 and 27 September. Ideally we would like this to take the form of a large-scale installation that works alongside/around the market stalls, to create a unique and inspiring decorated environment for the event to take place in. This could take the form of decoration from the ceiling and on some of the walls - there is no guidance on themes or colours as we don't want to limit your creativity!
The opportunity is for something site-specific and that makes use of as much of the venue as possible. We are not looking for artwork to be installed in a traditional exhibition style - many of our traders sell prints and 2D/3D artwork, and we don't want to detract from the stalls. You can see from the photos below that the two rooms have a central rail running the length of each room, which would be great for hanging decorations. There are also several wall spaces in the venue up for grabs. A live art/creative element of the installation during the event opening hours would be welcomed, although we would like the majority of the space to be decorated before the event opens to the public.
This is a great opportunity to reach our audience, showcase your work, and be part of London Design Festival. The successful applicant(s) will be included in our listings on the Crafty Fox website and will receive publicity in our promotional material leading up to and following the event.
- The installation must be installed by the successful applicant(s) on Saturday 26 September between 9-10.45am and taken down on Sunday 27 September between 5-6.30pm.
- Artists/designers are welcome to stay at the venue during the opening hours, although this is not compulsory, and may bring business cards to give to interested parties or leave at the Crafty Fox Information Point.
- The health and safety of the public, our traders and our staff is really important, so any design needs to be safe and secure for the duration of the event and comply with the venue's health and safety policies.
- Please bear in mind that during the event the space will be filled with market stalls consisting of tables, chairs, browsers and clothing rails, plus any extra structures traders use for their stalls, and that the public need to be able to easily access stalls and facilities.
- Floor plans are available on the Kachette website.
We will be looking at all expressions of interest after 27 July so please contact us with your ideas by then. If you are interested in this opportunity, please email Charlie (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a little about yourself and how you would like to use the space as well as any further questions you may have.